WCHS IB Evening Engagement a Success:
Thank you to all who attended last night's IB Evening Engagement. The goal was to inform and introduce this outstanding program to West Clermont and to plant the seeds of curiosity towards challenging yourselves as we move into WCHS! I hope that we were successful on both fronts and as we get closer to Registration this Thursday night, I encourage all those who are interested to ask your teachers, counselors and fellow students thoughtfull questions as you make these big decisions.
Thank you for all of the IB staff, counselors, and students who were there to show support and answer follow up questions from the audience.
If you couldn't attend last night's event, please feel free to contact Mrs. Stacey Novak (IB Coordinator) or Mr. Jeffrey Damadeo (IB Head of School). Resources from the event are linked below.
WCHS IB Evening Engagement Informational Packet
IB Parent Pack Informational Sheet
IB College Acceptance Rates
Embedded Video's from Presentation:
Diploma Programme: A Brief Introduction
Value of an IB Education
How do colleges view the IB Program?
Discussing IB and it's influence on college applications
Shaker Heights High School (OH): an IB Story
"C.A.S." (Creativity, Activity and Service) Meeting Update
It was great to see those who attended the CAS Meeting on Wednesday night!!! We had a great turn out and Mr. Poince is very excited for all of the IB students to soon take part in this amazing experience. For those that could not attend below are the links for the information presented, the Amelia High School CAS Handbook and a great motivational video that helps to show the power a small gesture can have on people's lives! Check it out!
Any further questions please contact Mr. Poince (email@example.com) or Mr. Damadeo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CAS Informational Meeting PowerPoint
AHS C.A.S. Handbook 2016-17
"Johnny the Bagger" Inspirational Video
2015-16 Ohio Association of IB World Schools COLLEGE FAIR
What a great opportunity some of our current and future IB students had. There were over 75 schools present ready to discuss how the IB Program would benefit them at their respective institutions! So exciting!!!
For more information regarding the schools attended please click the link below, which lists all of the school present, their websites and college admissions 'point person.'
IB Diploma Programme (“DP”) Requirements in a Nut-Shell
1. Students must choose 1 subject from each of the five Groups:
- Group 1: Studies in Language & Literature
- Group 2: Language Acquisition
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Group 4: Sciences
- Group 5: Mathematics
2. Students must also choose either an arts subject from Group 6 or a second subject from Groups 1-5
3. DP subjects can be Standard Level (SL) or Higher Level (HL)
4. At least 3 but not more than 4 are taken at HL while the others can be taken as SL
5. Tests are taken at the end of the school year (typically in May- “DP” is 2 years long)
- Marks awarded range from 1-7
- 24 total points are necessary to complete programme (max possible is 45)
6. Other Programme completion Requirements:
- Must complete an Extended Essay
- Must take the Theory of Knowledge (“TOK”) class
- Must complete the required hours for “CAS” (Creativity, Action, Support)
- Students must address all 8 learning outcomes within their CAS experiences
It’s roughly 150 hours total
7. Students may choose to complete the entire program thus complete all areas above or simply take IB courses based on interest. IB is for EVERYONE!
IB Course Offerings at Amelia High School
- Group 1: Language A (HL) – English
- Group 2: Spanish (SL), French (SL)
- Group 3: History of the Americas (SL/HL) & Psychology (SL), Economics (SL/HL)
- Group 4: Chemistry (SL/HL), Biology (SL/HL) & Physics (SL)
- Group 5: Mathematical Methods (SL), Math Studies (SL) & Mathematics (HL)
- Group 6: Art (SL/HL), Dance (SL/HL)