4639 Vermona Dr. | Cincinnati, Ohio 45245
Student Hours: 9:00 AM - 3:00PM
Principal: Bob Winterberger
Secretary: Mrs. Karen Fields
Total Enrollment: 475
School designation: EFFECTIVE
Percentage of minority students: 9%
Economically Disadvantaged: 44%
Attendance rate: 95.9%
SUMMERSIDE ELEMENTARY MISSION STATEMENT
- We will focus on academic goals and set high expectations to challenge all students.
- We will provide a safe, orderly and enthusiastic environment.
- We will build partnerships with the community to enhance the learning process.
- We will use frequent and innovative monitoring methods to assess student progress.
- We will make full use of instructional time.
- We will make use of positive and frequent home, school and community relations.
- We will provide administrative leadership and staff support to fulfill the above benefits.
- We will build effective relationships with students, parents, and the community.
- We will communicate to students they are important and valued and we will not let them fail.
- We will communicate to students why the work they do is important and use all available resources to engage students in learning.
- We will define and model lifelong learning for our students and ourselves by committing to ongoing professional development and continuous improvement.
- We will collaborate with one another and our students so that we can achieve our collective goals more effectively.
- We will identify essential learning outcomes, assess student understanding and provide opportunities for students to demonstrate mastery.
- We will be results oriented and data driven.
- We will continue to read and study equity issues in education and the broader society and apply our learning to the work we do with children, using the four agreements and six conditions as a framework for understanding.
The Summerside school community is committed to building a strong educational, social and emotional foundation where all experience success in a safe enthusiastic environment that will provide the entire school community with the tools to become life- long learners.
Effort, Attitude, Good Choices lead to excellence and success. Following this code makes us responsible, respectful and accountable as Summerside students.
SUMMERSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:
Serves children from Kindergarten through fifth grade. There are twenty-two classrooms, including 4 full day, every other day Kindergarten sections.
Provides positive learning experiences that facilitate success for students in special education through high-quality instruction, as well as collaboration with parents, students, schools, and the community, students will focus on their positive attributes and recognize their individual strengths and achievements to promote their future.
Learning outcomes for students are aligned with Ohio’s New Learning Standards. Created by teachers, parents, education experts and others from across the country, these learning standards provide clear, consistent expectations for what students should be learning at each grade in order to be prepared for college and career. To see specific learning outcomes in reading and mathematics by grade level, please see the Ohio PTA Parent Guides.
Prides themselves on the ability to offer services to all students with special needs that are located within the boundaries of the school district. A vast majority of our student’s needs are successfully met at the student’s neighborhood school. For those students who require expertise in social communication skills, the district has programs that focus on students Multiple Disabilities, Autism, and Emotional Disturbance. While these programs are not located at every school, West Clermont strives to keep children as close to home as possible.
Provides a Response to Intervention process when students are struggling at school. The goal of the Response to Intervention is to identify an action plan that will improve the student’s academic, behavioral, or social skills. Based on data collected in the classroom, teachers may provide automatic interventions and document these on a Tier 2 intervention form. If a more intensive, individualized plan is needed, the teacher will schedule a Tier 3 meeting with parents and other support personnel, as needed. A collaborative plan will be developed at the meeting with parent input. Parental involvement is a very important part of this process
PTO is very active meeting monthly in order to plan, organize and fund skating parties, fundraisers, financial support for field trips, programs, and classrooms, as well as a host of other supports during the year.
Has a partnership with local business and churches in order to support the whole child by meeting their basic needs through special programs and volunteerism, as well as providing children with an excellent education.
Serves breakfast and lunch daily for all students.
Is a Ready School as defined by the Ohio Department of Education and the United Way of Greater Cincinnati. Summerside has made a positive, smooth transition into kindergarten for students and their families a top priority.
SUMMERSIDE ELEMENTARY HISTORY
In 1955, Summerside Elementary School was constructed on Vermona Street. It was the first West Clermont Elementary school building. An addition to the school was put on in 1956, 1960 and 1964. In 1985, Summerside Kindergarten students were bused temporarily to Clough Pike Elementary School due to room shortage at Summerside. Our building is situated on five acres of land which provides an opportunity for our students to interact more fully with the environment. .